Don't want to type your concern or question, talk to a patient survivor on the phone! HOPEline 800-579-1970
December 19, 2014, 01:37:48 PM PST *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Renal Support Networks 16th Annual Renal Teen Prom. Sunday, January 18, 2015.
'Sea of Dreams'. Visit RSNhope.org for more information.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register RSN Home The HOPEline RSNhope store  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Melatonin safe with CKD?  (Read 5887 times)
PrincessLeila
« on: November 24, 2012, 05:16:14 AM PST »

I've been told by an pharmacist that my prescription melatonin (synthetic melatonin hormone) is mainly excreted by the kidneys & that it may build up in the bloodstream after continuous use. I've been taking melatonin now every night. Does anyone else take it with the blessing of their nephrologist & renal team? It works very well but I don't know if it could be harming my kidneys. I don't see my Neph until the 6th Dec so won't know until then

View Profile Logged
BJ275
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 04:39:02 PM PST »

I'd call and ask!  I learned this the hard way, by not asking when it was important! In my case, that was a prescription prescribed by another doctor, who knew of my kidney disease etc. and I didn't ask and it was harmful.  I always check with my neph, esp. any supplements and over the counter.

View Profile Logged

Polycystic Kidney Disease
Blessed with a transplant May 2010
PrincessLeila
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 10:56:24 PM PST »

BJ, was that prescription melatonin you were taking but which proved to be harmful or another drug?

View Profile Logged
BJ275
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 07:54:31 AM PST »

A different drug. It's just how I learned to always ask.  Nephrologists are particularly interested in all the supplements and OTC things we take. At least at my clinic.  I forgot once to include the new OTC ointment for my eyes while reviewing my meds  - -  and just happened to remember during the visit, which my neph. really appreciated! 

View Profile Logged

PrincessLeila
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 06:01:15 PM PST »

Wow, an eye ointment was harmful to your kidneys? I take antibiotic eye drops once a month in preparation for eye injections that treat my retinopathy. The treatment has been extremely successful but sometimes I wonder whether it may have caused my sudden rise in creatinine levels ...I will never know because they don't know themselves

View Profile Logged
PrincessLeila
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 08:39:38 PM PST »

Just received word from my Neph about the melatonin. As it is mainly metabolised by the liver, there are no concerns for renal health. The pharmacists were dead wrong when they told me it is mainly excreted by the kidneys. I still can't believe that they'd make such a mistake. It shows just how easily medical mistakes can occur. The lesson is to question and double-check all advice that is given - an impossible task sometimes for patients.

However, for those who have trouble sleeping & don't want to take sleeping pills - melatonin may be a good option. 

View Profile Logged
BJ275
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 10:38:53 PM PST »

Wow, an eye ointment was harmful to your kidneys? I take antibiotic eye drops once a month in preparation for eye injections that treat my retinopathy. The treatment has been extremely successful but sometimes I wonder whether it may have caused my sudden rise in creatinine levels ...I will never know because they don't know themselves

Sorry to be confusing - my nephrologist was just happy I remembered to tell her the new information. She wants to know all I take, whatever the reason.

View Profile Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: