Don’t want to type your concern or question, talk to a patient survivor on the phone! HOPEline 800-579-1970
April 18, 2014, 01:02:21 AM PDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please be sure and sign up for our patient newsletter "Live & Give" and our online e-mail RENALERT to stay informed of RSN activities. Sign up at www.RSNhope.org     

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register RSN Home The HOPEline RSNhope store  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Spirulina safe to take?  (Read 2005 times)
PrincessLeila
« on: August 15, 2012, 06:13:08 AM PDT »

I've always taken Spirulina supplements in the past but now that I have CKD I need to know whether it is safe to continue taking them? Spirulina is high in loads of nutrients and also has a high vegetable protein/amino acid content. Can anyone advise me?

View Profile Logged
getlife
Thank you to my donor family for the 'Gift of Life' !
So Thankful!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 03:57:23 PM PDT »

I couldn't answer that for you...it's a protein...vegetable protein. That would be a great question for your doctors.  Let us know the answer if you find out.

I have never taken anything other than was prescribed or recommended by my healthcare team.

Getlife

View Profile Logged

Live! Like there's tomorrow! 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K8-9mXjU8o

CKD 40 Years!

Update!  Had my transplant on June 22, 2011!
Woohoo! A sincere thank you to my donor family.

2 previous transplants, latter lasting 18 years.
Returned to hemodialysis 1999. 
Now transplanted!
BJ275
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 08:42:17 PM PDT »

Thanks for letting the rest of us know it's vegetable protiein  Cheesy

View Profile Logged

Polycystic Kidney Disease
Blessed with a transplant May 2010
PrincessLeila
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 09:23:29 PM PDT »

Hi guys, I've been going onto Livestrong website for info on spirulina & CKD and it is not conclusive. There is evidence that it helps combat anemia, that it detoxified liver & kidneys from heavy metals & prescription drug overload, that it combats malnourishment due to to it's very high nutrient content etc. But also other evidence that it may overload weakened kidneys with it's vegetable protein, mineral, nucleic acid content.

I'll ask my renal dietician, who I'll be seeing for the first time next week. I suspect the answer may not be conclusive either. (I don't dare ask my nephrologist due to question overload already!)

View Profile Logged
BJ275
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 07:59:48 AM PDT »

You could print the information and leave it for your nephrologist to read and get back to you. Mine would. Renal dietitian might need the info, too.  You certainly don't want to take it if it is hard on kidneys, and you certainly want to take it if it is good for you, know what I mean!  Nephrologists and renal dietitians are the people I trust the most, because I want to be as healthy as they want me to be!  

Let us know - we're all curious!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 10:13:59 AM PDT by BJ275 »

View Profile Logged

Polycystic Kidney Disease
Blessed with a transplant May 2010
PrincessLeila
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 06:32:14 AM PDT »

I've been advised to take spirulina in careful moderation as it has a moderate level of sodium (100g of this powder is something like 873 mg of sodium). However the recommended dose is 6 tablets a day - which contains 25 mg of sodium. My renal dietician was not able to find out its potassium content. She told me to only take 2 tablets a day but I don't see anything wrong with taking 6. I actually haven't been given a daily sodium limit so it's all a bit confusing to me. Can anyone advise me what should be my daily sodium intake (Stage 2 CKD)?

View Profile Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: