Don't want to type your concern or question, talk to a patient survivor on the phone! HOPEline 800-579-1970
August 22, 2014, 02:47:34 AM PDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out our great selection of glamorous jewelry from RSN's very own EmbraceHOPE Collection.Embrace Hope Jewelry Line to Benefit RSN. www.rsnhope.org

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register RSN Home The HOPEline RSNhope store  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Referred to a hematologist  (Read 1163 times)
fatkidney
« on: September 14, 2011, 08:06:20 PM PDT »

My blood work's been off, in part it's pointing to anemia. Which is no surprise under the circumstances of stage 4 renal failure from PKD.  But the white blood cells and platelets are off too, in multiple blood samples. Both low I believe.  Just wondering if anyone else has had blood issues that ended up being related to the CKD and ended up seeing a hematologist? Am wondering what they might do?  It freaks me out for a couple of reasons...one the hematologist is also an oncologist and he works at a cancer center.  Two, they got me the appt for 2 days from now.  When does that ever happen?

View Profile Logged

Polycystic Kidney Disease
Waiting for Transplant
BJ275
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 10:13:10 PM PDT »

Sorry, no, I can't help with the "seeing a hemotologist" question.
I do see why you are freaking out a bit, yet, maybe there was just a quick opening? Do you go to a large clinic?  I know I've gotten in when I least expected it sometimes.  I will be hoping there is no cause for alarm. Please let us know how it goes!

View Profile Logged

Polycystic Kidney Disease
Blessed with a transplant May 2010
Arctic One
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 10:16:17 AM PDT »

Yes, I have gone through the same scenario just a few weeks ago. My blood counts kept dropping and specifically my platlets. My platlet count was down to 54 and I had absolutely NO energy. The Dr. did a bone marrow biopsy which was painful but it only took less than a minute and just like dialysis, we do what we have to do. This Dr. was also and Oncologist that is at the Cancer Center and of course I was on pins and needles waiting on the results which came back negative for any bone marrow disease.

It turned out that my liver (hep-C) is not allowing my spleen to release the platelets into my blood stream. He put me back on Sensipar and my Hgb, RBC,WBC and Platlet count all came up to an acceptable level.

My point is don't be afraid just because of the oncologist issue. Looking into a problem or anomoly by the pro's is the best thing to do and at the very least it identifies the problem AND the treatment.

Keep smiling and keep us posted!

View Profile Logged
getlife
Thank you to my donor family for the 'Gift of Life' !
So Thankful!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 11:58:22 AM PDT »

Keep us updated Fatkidney!

Getlife

View Profile Logged

Live! Like there's tomorrow! 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K8-9mXjU8o

CKD 40 Years!

Update!  Had my transplant on June 22, 2011!
Woohoo! A sincere thank you to my donor family.

2 previous transplants, latter lasting 18 years.
Returned to hemodialysis 1999. 
Now transplanted!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: