Don't want to type your concern or question, talk to a patient survivor on the phone! HOPEline 800-579-1970
September 17, 2014, 10:32:49 AM PDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: KidneySpace members please only share your experience, strength and hope with each other. We do not give advice. Always consult with a healthcare professional before making any changes to your medical regimen.    

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register RSN Home The HOPEline RSNhope store  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cramps and numbness in my feet  (Read 4995 times)
ADT
« on: August 13, 2011, 08:31:22 AM PDT »

Does any one know how to get rid of these? Cramps and numbness in my feet and lower legs, it happens sometimes, but not too frequently? Some one told me about a heating pad that also massages too. I am not diabetic. CKD currently at 16 GFR. Thank you for any info you guys can provide!

View Profile Logged
timbug2
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 09:43:36 AM PDT »

While I was on dialysis I developed numbness and tingling in my feet. I too am not a diabetic and the docs didn't say much about it until I saw a Neurologist. He gave me the diagnosis of peripheral neuropathy. Peripheral Neuropathy is a permanent condition.

Cramps are a different story. While on hemodialysis if too much fluid was being pulled from me or pulled too quickly, I would develop cramps in my lower extremities. On occasion I would have them while not on dialysis, but this was rare.

Yes, I found a warm heating pad helped the numbness and tingling in my feet. A warm bath also helped tremendously. Please be sure to ask your medical team before trying anything new, especially if they do not know about the sensations you are feeling in your feet.

View Profile Logged

Timbug2
hemo dialysis - 6years
transplant - October 2007
ADT
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 04:26:17 PM PDT »

I am not on dialysis yet. I am still at 16gfr and my nephrologist has not scheduled a date to start the graft HD or a soft silastic tube for PD. An Ultrasound was done and Study showed ischemia & Blockages in 3 different places on the right hip, mid and lower leg. There were 2 Blockages on the left leg side. I have been referred to a vascular surgeon for possible stints being put in my veins in my legs. I am not sure if the stints will even work with my condition? Any comments are appreciated.

View Profile Logged
BJ275
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 06:16:28 PM PDT »

It seems like it could be more related to the blockages in your legs. 
Are you sure you are hydrated?

I used to get leg cramps at around a 18 gfr, before I'd seen the nephrologist, and so I was eating bananas for the potassium to help the cramps. WRONG 
Should not have been eating the bananas!  When I saw the nephrologist, started the renal diet, my leg cramps got better. 

I hope you get good information from your vascular surgeon about the stints!

Keep in touch!

View Profile Logged

Polycystic Kidney Disease
Blessed with a transplant May 2010
ADT
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 09:00:35 PM PDT »

I will report back after I have my Vasular Dr appt 8/22/2011 Grin ...

I used to get leg cramps at around a 18 gfr, before I'd seen the nephrologist, and so I was eating bananas for the potassium to help the cramps. WRONG 
Should not have been eating the bananas!  When I saw the nephrologist, started the renal diet, my leg cramps got better. 

Keep in touch!

Keep in touch!

View Profile Logged
OZfan
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 03:32:11 PM PDT »

Sometimes cramping and numbness when you are not on dialysis can be due to neuropathy.  Consult your doc and he may refer you to a neurologist. 

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/peripheral-neuropathy/DS00131

View Profile Logged
ADT
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 09:41:00 AM PDT »

After receiving my results in a letter I am learning more about veins & regions of the legs etc. I thought I would share a website about them.
Here are the names of some of them:
superficial femoral artery,  aortoiliac, femoral artery, 
infrapoplitea, distal portion
monophasic, biphasic, triphasic.

http://smartimagebase.com/veins-of-leg/view-item?ItemID=14216

View Profile Logged
Marina
Believe!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 01:06:58 PM PDT »

I  have  been  reading  an  awful  lot  about  B12  and  even posted  a  thread  about  on  this  site:  http://www.kidneyspace.com/index.php?topic=3575.msg21436#msg21436.
The  reason I  started  reading  on  it  is  because  my  endocronologist  decided  to  check  my  B6 and B12  (Folic  Acid)   just  to  see   my levels  and  try  to  figure  out  if  my  anemia  was  caused  by  a  B12  deficiency.  My  Homocysteine (B6,  B12) and Mytheylmalonic Acid (B12)   were  extremely  elevated she put  me on  RX  Folic  acid   (TL Gard is the  generic  form).                     She  rechecked  my levels   2 weeks  ago   (12  weeks  after  I  started  TL Gard)  and  my  numbers have  improved  tremendously  as  well as  my   hemoglobin.

But  I  also  found that:

If the level of vitamin B12 stays low for a long time, it can damage your nerve cells. If this happens, you may have:

Numbness or tingling in your fingers and toes.
A poor sense of balance.
Depression.

It's  worth  asking your  Dr  to check your  Homocysteine  and  Methylmalonic  acid,  to  make sure  your  numbers  are  within  range.

Take  care!

Marina

View Profile Logged

Diabetes  since  1979
CAPD    April 2004-Nov  2010
Nov 9, 2010 I  was  blessed with   the  GIFT  OF  LIFE  (kidney and pancreas  TX )
God  bless  my  donor  and donor  family  for  such  wonderful  gift!!!   Smiley
ADT
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 06:15:53 PM PDT »

Vascular Dr appt 8/22/2011
Doctor asked questions about feet and checked pulse behind the knee and did a sound check on the vessels in the feet. She has a few blockages in her legs.The doctor said that they needed to shoot dye into her system in order to see the blockages and then they could perform the angioplasty.This would open the blockages and the blood would be able to flow down to her feet.  The problem is her kidneys are so bad and they wont be able to filter the dye. She would at this point be put on dialysis to remove the dye from her system.The other thing is she will have to continue to be on dialysis from that point forward. There is no turning back. Still thining on it for now. Any ideas? javascript:void(0);

View Profile Logged
ADT
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 10:51:31 AM PDT »

I just heard from Dr today on a different option without using dyes:
MRI/MRA is not recommended as the dye used in those cases will also be toxic to the kidneys.
Dr suggests to proceed with an angiogram using carbon dioxide. The quality of the images will be severely degraded below the level of the knees where the blockage appears to be located but if other sites are present above the knees they could be treated or surgery planned.
Has anyone heard of this type of procedure.

View Profile Logged
BJ275
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 03:22:44 PM PDT »

No, I have not heard of that, but I do know dyes are toxic to kidneys!  Guess it would be up to the person to know if they are ready to be on dialysis this soon.  I do hope you get answers from others who  might know!  Keep in touch! 

View Profile Logged

Polycystic Kidney Disease
Blessed with a transplant May 2010
spings
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 03:46:23 PM PST »

I have numbness and tingling in my right leg, it occurs at night when I lay down. My neph told me it was most likely due to claudiation and might require angioplasty in the future. I did some research online and found there's several medications for this condition. The neph recommended pentoxifylline er. I started taking them when I had a lung infection and had a mild reaction to it. Does anyone have experience with pentoxifylline ?

View Profile Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: