Don't want to type your concern or question, talk to a patient survivor on the phone! HOPEline 800-579-1970
October 23, 2014, 04:00:41 AM PDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
HOPEline for Peer Support
(800)579-1970
Support from someone who has been there.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register RSN Home The HOPEline RSNhope store  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Care partner definition  (Read 4572 times)
Dez
« on: December 30, 2010, 10:32:14 PM PST »

My nursing background is geriatrics, a field that, just like nephrology, is grappling with redefining care in terms of patient centeredness.

Two somewhat new concepts in long term care are the Pioneer Culture Movement and the Eden Alternative.  Both of these concepts are attempting to empower patients and to focus on patient needs and desires rather than on nursing tasks.  They are holistic models.

I absolutely love the Eden Alternative care partner definition:  "Those who work together effectively and respectively for the long run."Notice that there is nothing at all in the definition about who does what or how much each partner does.  It also doesn't specify the people involved--it could be family, spouse, friends, professionals or others.  And....the operative words are respectfully and effectively.

A good lesson for all, I think!

View Profile Logged
getlife
Thank you to my donor family for the 'Gift of Life' !
So Thankful!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 05:25:48 PM PST »

Thank you Dez for sharing this.  I like this!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:12:55 PM PST by getlife »

View Profile Logged

Live! Like there's tomorrow! 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K8-9mXjU8o

CKD 40 Years!

Update!  Had my transplant on June 22, 2011!
Woohoo! A sincere thank you to my donor family.

2 previous transplants, latter lasting 18 years.
Returned to hemodialysis 1999. 
Now transplanted!
Dez
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 10:05:48 AM PST »

Another point about the definition is that is implies that the burden isn't on one specific person.  I think the secret to successful care partnering is to have and develop a support system, one that is not based solely on the CKD.  My friends, for example, were fellow antiquers, my coffee group, coworkers and /or just hanging-out-with girlfriends. 

View Profile Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: