Don't want to type your concern or question, talk to a patient survivor on the phone! HOPEline 800-579-1970
October 31, 2014, 06:17:35 AM PDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Renal Support Network (RSN) offers informative, entertaining patient directed programs that provide health, happiness and hope. RSN was founded in 1993 by Lori Hartwell - a kidney disease survivor since 1968 - to instill health, happiness, and hope into the lives of those affected by chronic kidney disease (CKD).  

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register RSN Home The HOPEline RSNhope store  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Loss of Smell and Taste  (Read 4281 times)
broby2
« on: March 28, 2010, 02:11:21 PM PDT »

Hello,

I was diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease in June of 2009 and began Hemodialysis.  I am now experiencing a loss of smell and taste.  The problem has now progressed to the point of me wanting to eat food, drink juice, etc.  Tomorrow I will be meeting with my primary physician and the dietitian at my treatment center is having my blood tested for a zinc deficiency. I have been searching the Internet and reading up on this topic.

I would really appreciate receiving information from anyone who has experienced this problem.  The only medications I take are Synthroid and Protonix along with Vitamins C and B Complex 100.  I am also suppose to take one PhosLo tablet with my largest meal.

Thanks!

View Profile Logged
getlife
Thank you to my donor family for the 'Gift of Life' !
So Thankful!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 04:03:51 AM PDT »

Hi there, welcome to kidneyspace broby.  The only experience most dialysis patients have if they are not getting enough dialysis is a metallic taste in their mouth.  There is also a loss of appetite with this.  But a loss of taste and smell, is not something I have heard of in dialysis patients. 

I take zinc daily due to a loss of hair.  It had helped.  Prior to that I never had the loss of taste and smell. 

I can share that my husband lost his sense of taste and smell after having sinus surgery, eventually it came back, but it did take over a year. He does not have CKD. 

I hope this gets resolved for you.  Please share what becomes of this, if you will.

View Profile Logged

Live! Like there's tomorrow! 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K8-9mXjU8o

CKD 40 Years!

Update!  Had my transplant on June 22, 2011!
Woohoo! A sincere thank you to my donor family.

2 previous transplants, latter lasting 18 years.
Returned to hemodialysis 1999. 
Now transplanted!
BJ275
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 08:53:53 AM PDT »

How much zinc did you take for hair loss?  I've been told I'll have hair loss after my transplant - at least for a while.  I'd be interested in any tips. 

View Profile Logged

Polycystic Kidney Disease
Blessed with a transplant May 2010
getlife
Thank you to my donor family for the 'Gift of Life' !
So Thankful!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 10:17:50 AM PDT »

I take 50mg a day. Actually it was someone I know who told me about it a couple of years ago, she had hair loss after transplant and that is what her transplant team suggested.  Be sure to ask your healthcare team first before you take any meds besides what they tell you.  Don't ever take any over the counter medications without approval...of course you probably already know this. n Grin

View Profile Logged

Live! Like there's tomorrow! 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K8-9mXjU8o

CKD 40 Years!

Update!  Had my transplant on June 22, 2011!
Woohoo! A sincere thank you to my donor family.

2 previous transplants, latter lasting 18 years.
Returned to hemodialysis 1999. 
Now transplanted!
BJ275
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 10:04:34 PM PDT »

Thanks!  Yes, I know I have to check with my doctors - I felt silly the first time I did that for an OTC item but it was still good that I did. What I didn't do was check once when a local Dr. put me on an antibiotic and I'd already taken half the dose when I saw my nephrologist and he was not happy about the dosage. I definitely trust the nephrologist more :-)

View Profile Logged

Polycystic Kidney Disease
Blessed with a transplant May 2010
old_fool
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 10:19:13 PM PDT »

Hello,

I was diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease in June of 2009 and began Hemodialysis.  I am now experiencing a loss of smell and taste.  The problem has now progressed to the point of me wanting to eat food, drink juice, etc.  Tomorrow I will be meeting with my primary physician and the dietitian at my treatment center is having my blood tested for a zinc deficiency. I have been searching the Internet and reading up on this topic.

I would really appreciate receiving information from anyone who has experienced this problem.  The only medications I take are Synthroid and Protonix along with Vitamins C and B Complex 100.  I am also suppose to take one PhosLo tablet with my largest meal.

Thanks!

Welcome to the board!

I was on peritoneal dialysis before my transplant.  I experienced loss of taste for sure.  I don't have anything but an armchair quarterback's best guess but here it is. 

First off, our kidneys affect our body in many ways.  My guess is that our sense of smell and taste is affected by kidney function.  I don't know but it makes sense.

The odd thing is that not everyone experiences this.  In part, it may be because there are so many things about our body that change gradually with CKD and we don't notice as a result.  I also think that our own body scent becomes stronger because the toxins not cleared by our kidneys or by dialysis come out through our pores.  When I started dialysis, I felt better than before.  however it was disappointed to have my wife tell me that I smelled better but I still smelled.

When I got my kidney and it started doing its thing, my sense of smell came back.  Everything tasted good and I could smell everything. 

I'm not sure about how zinc relates but it is worth checking out: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Zinc-Consumer.asp#h6  Perhaps I didn't get some of the treatment I needed while on dialysis.  But the optimal solution is to get a transplant and all the "smaller" issues will disappear.  Nothing like a working kidney. Smiley

~fool
day 83 post transplant

View Profile WWW Logged

~old fool
zero mismatch transplant Jan 2010
Angie
Canadian Transplant Recipient
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 02:13:18 PM PDT »

Many of loss of taste and smell. I had that. Not complete loss mind you but diminished sense of taste and smell. Once I had my transplant I could taste so much more than I used to. You are not alone in this loss of these sense. I was told that it is linked to the blood being not clean and that effects our sense of taste which in turn effects our sense of smell.

Hope that helps you understand that better.

Hello,

Thanks!

View Profile WWW Logged

My Pictures | KK Mall | http://kidney.ca/quiz

PD/HD: 6.75 yrs
2nd Transplant 2007 Sept 30th (started working Nov 14)
refurb
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 05:00:28 PM PDT »

I too had loss of taste. Everything tasted like cardboard or stale saltines.....i also had a nickel taste in my mouth as well as always smelling smoke. I thought I was going crazy with the smoke smell.

After about a month of dialysis my taste did come back...not 100% but much better and the nickle taste went away as well. As for the smell of smoke my doc said you can actually have imaginary smells (as a pre-esrd/.esrd patient)....sounds crazy i know. It's called a phantom smell. It can mean other things like a seizure is coming and i've read it can be a side effect of medication....

Refurb

View Profile Logged

Lupus/ CKD 25 years
Transplanted 12/15/99
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: