Don't want to type your concern or question, talk to a patient survivor on the phone! HOPEline 800-579-1970
November 25, 2014, 02:49:57 PM PST *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
HOPEline for Peer Support
(800)579-1970
Support from someone who has been there.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register RSN Home The HOPEline RSNhope store  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fun and Games while on dialysis at a center??  (Read 5880 times)
Bonnie
« on: June 09, 2009, 08:36:11 AM PDT »

I recently volunteered at a local brand new Dialysis Center in Graham, WA.  One of the things I've been tasked with is to "entertain" dialysis patients.  I plan on setting up a small library with magazines, books and playing cards, etc. 

What do you like to do while on dialysis.  Sleep?  Read?  Play Games? Chat?  Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!   Do you have any kidney related crosswords or trivia games to share?

Thanks in advance for any help!

View Profile Logged
joeynt
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 09:53:47 AM PDT »

Some of the nurses that were on the PM shift in my unit shared jokes.  As they made their rounds they would share a "joke of the day." 

And in the unit waiting room there is a felt topped card table where there is usually a puzzle to put together while waiting.

I'm a reader so I usually bring books with me to pass time plus our units has televisions that go with each chair & headsets to help us pass time.

View Profile Logged
Bonnie
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:11:00 AM PDT »

Thanks so much Joeynt.  Both Joke of the Day (I totally believe laughter is the best medicine) and a card table with puzzle are great ideas.  Tomorrow is my first day there and I really want to bring some ideas.  I haven't been on dialysis in 37 years and only remember sleeping a lot during home dialysis.

View Profile Logged
joeynt
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 06:18:01 PM PDT »

I read, watch TV, and when I have text books (or new printer cartridges to print them out) I use my dialysis time as a study hall.  I seldom write because needles in one arm and bp cuff around the opposite wrist makes it difficult to do more than jot quick notes.

Good Luck.

Our unit also has a library.  So we can pick up used books to read during dialysis.

View Profile Logged
Angie
Canadian Transplant Recipient
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 07:12:39 PM PDT »

I recently volunteered at a local brand new Dialysis Center in Graham, WA.  One of the things I've been tasked with is to "entertain" dialysis patients.  I plan on setting up a small library with magazines, books and playing cards, etc. 

What do you like to do while on dialysis.  Sleep?  Read?  Play Games? Chat?  Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!   Do you have any kidney related crosswords or trivia games to share?

Thanks in advance for any help!

One man on hemo dialysis in my unit actually picked up the hobby of knitting and actually made me a scarff which I still have and treasure. It is the perfect time to learn new things so maybe instruction booklets on knitting and other crafts. Not everyone has fistulas and people with buttonholes in their fistulas do have more mobility. Also people who can only move one arm or only have one arm must be taken into consideration.  If there is computer access there are some games that can be played easily with one hand like Solitaire or Bedazzled / Bejeweled.

Also just books, magazines especially, but I have found them hard to turn the pages for me. But crossword puzzles are great!

Also internet access provides people on dialysis with a way to chat on forums or chat online in chatrooms meant for kidney patients so they don't have to go to public chats which are usually spammed by perverts.

I would get bored in my unit and would talk to the lady across from me but she was hard of hearing so I would tell her to ask for the phone (there were 2 for people on the machines) and I would ask for one and then dial her phone (someone taught me how to do that even though we were not supposed to know how). Maybe walkie talkies?? Just brain storming here. Never said they were good ideas I had lol. Tongue
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 01:08:39 PM PDT by angieskidney »

View Profile WWW Logged

My Pictures | KK Mall | http://kidney.ca/quiz

PD/HD: 6.75 yrs
2nd Transplant 2007 Sept 30th (started working Nov 14)
Bonnie
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 09:44:58 PM PDT »

Hey... Thanks for the brainstorm session Angie.  Today was my first day there and I spent most of the time just chatting with patients.  As I get more familiar with them I'll try to introduce some crafts.  I like that idea but will have to think of something they can do with limited mobility or else someone needs to teach me to knit :-)

I appreciate your input and if you think of anything else - let me know.    Cheesy

View Profile Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: